What is Web 2.0?

I have done some extensive touring on Second Life and while is does have enormous potential to become a relevant education tool, I don't think it's there yet. The 3D world is very interesting and even though I am very skeptical about forming online relationships, I was surprised that I actually bonded with the people I met in Second Life. I started to feel like maybe it was truly a revolutionary online experience. Unfortunately, after just 4 or 5times, my enthusiasm dropped off quickly when I discovered that most of the educational areas were lonely and lifeless.

On the other hand, as this video suggests, I agree completely that blogs are a great way to give students a real audience for their writing. So often in our classes, the only audience for students' writing is the teacher. When students know that they are posting their work for the whole online world to see, they understand much more deeply what writing is all about.

No comments: