Business English from The Godfather

Widely considered one of the greatest movies of all time. Marlon Brando looks a bit different here than when he was young, don't you think?




I need, Don Corleone, those politicians that you carry in your pocket like so many nickels and dimes.
What is the interest for my family?
30%. In the first year, your end should be 3 or 4 million dollars, and then it would go up.
And what is the interest for the Tattaglia family?
My compliments. I'll take care of the Tattaglias--part of my share.
So I'll receive 30% for finance,
political influence, and legal protection? That's what you're telling me?
That's right.
Why do you come to me? Why do I deserve this generosity?
If you consider a million dollars in cash just finance, te saludo, Don Corleone.
I said that I would see you because I heard that you were a serious man to be treated with respect, but I must say no to you and I'll give you my reason. It's true, I have a lot of friends in politics, but they wouldn't be friendly very long if they knew my business was drugs instead of gambling which they regard as a harmless vice but drugs are dirty business. It doesn't make any difference to me what a man does for a living, but your business is a little dangerous.
If you're worried about security, the Tattaglias will guarantee it.
Oh are you telling me that the Tattaglia guarantee our investment?
Wait a minute.
I have a sentimental weakness for my children and I spoil them as you can see. They talk when they should listen. But anyway Senor Sollozzo, my no is final and I wish to congratulate you on your new business. I know you do very well and good luck to you especially as your interests don't conflict with mine. Thank you.

Santino. Come here. What's the matter with you? I think your brain is going soft from all that comedy you're playing with that young girl. Never tell anybody outside the family what you are thinking again. Go on.

No comments: